Tuesday, July 25, 2017

"Unraveling"

Once upon a time, Sara Ella dreamed she would marry a prince and live in a Disney-style castle. Today, she is a winner of the ECPA Christian Book Award for her debut novel Unblemished, which released to magical applause: “a stunning journey into a fascinating new world of reflections” (RT Book Reviews). Sara spends her days throwing living room dance parties for her two princesses and conquering realms of her own imaginings. She believes “Happily Ever After Is Never Far Away.”

Ella applied the Page 69 Test to her latest novel, Unraveling, and reported the following:
This test is always a fun one, and fortunately for me, so far, my page 69s always fall at the opening of a chapter. Go, Pub Team! You make this easy.

Chapter openings are always my faves. Don’t get me wrong, middles and endings are great too, but openings are the icing on the cake, the topping that makes you want to dig into the substance underneath. When I write an opening I ask myself, “How can I begin this in a way that will entice the reader to, well, keep reading?”

Page 69 in Unraveling, the second book in my Unblemished trilogy, brings us to the opening of Chapter 11 which is entitled "Change." I love this chapter because I know exactly what’s going to happen. I know who my main character, Eliyana, will meet and what she will discover. But you don’t, so it’s my job to make sure you’ll want to find out. So, here goes...
Chapter 11 ~ Change

If I wasn’t in my right mind I’d chuck this blasted mirrorglass crown off the hill. What good does it do me? No one looks to me. Listens. They still think of Joshua as their leader. And can I blame them? One look at him and people think, Noble. Worthy. King. What do they think when they look at me? Imposter? Intruder? Wannabe?

“Don’t be ridiculous, Em. This insecurity is the old you. You know better. The Verity chose—”

“Just leave me alone.” The smallest burst of Verity burns in my gut. As if it’s staging a silent protest to my words. I tug at the ends of my hair. Regret my harsh tone. None of this is Ky’s fault. “I’m sorry.”

I know. It’s fine.” Though his words reassure, his voice in my head reveals a pinch of hurt.

Ugh. This sucks. Joshua and I are at odds—again—and now I’ve hurt Ky? Maybe. I don’t know. He’s probably not even real. Of course he’s not.

Or is he?

I’d like to scream my head off now if you don’t mind. Okay, thanks.

Anxiety revs my nerves as I enter the door leading into the kitchens. Old memories lift from storage. I take them out, dust them off, and see them anew. The frame around a not-so-long- ago...
What?! A not so long ago what?! Would you turn the page to keep reading? I hope so. For those #TeamKy fans out there, I’m pretty sure you can tell this is leading somewhere that has to do with him. I won’t say too much more about that, but let’s just say the farther you read, the closer you’ll get to discovering what in the world is going on. El can hear Ky’s voice in her head? How is that even possible?

And what is this about a mirrorglass crown? And why is El having her doubts? For those who read Unblemished, you know all the awesomeness she’s capable of. For those who didn’t, you’re probably wondering what the Verity is and why this girl is doubting herself so much. Good. If you’re new to the series and couldn’t care less about this Ky person, hopefully I’ve confused you enough to make you turn the page. I really hope you’ll want answers. And if you do?

Just keep reading...
Visit Sara Ella's website.

The Page 69 Test: Unblemished.

--Marshal Zeringue