Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Dog On It"

Spencer Quinn lives on Cape Cod with his dog, Audrey.

He applied the Page 69 Test to his new novel, Dog On It, and reported the following:
Page 69 is not a bad representation of the book. Chet and Bernie are in the middle of interrogating Ruben, a lowlife character who may have information concerning the disappearance of Madison Chambliss, a teenage girl at the center of the mystery. We get a sense of Chet’s narrative style:

“Already told you,” Ruben said. “I drove her.” Or something like that. I didn’t really hear because at that moment my jaws were clamping around Ruben’s leg.

We sense Bernie’s intolerance of anyone disrespecting Chet:

“Call off your damn dog.”

“Language.”

“Oh, God, come on, man.” Ruben wriggled around on the floor.

“Chet?”

I unclamped. It took everything I had.

“Maybe take a minute or two, Chet.”

Bernie was right. I walked around a bit, snapping up the burger in an absentminded way.


But mostly we get to enjoy two professional crime solvers at the top of their game:

“Think,” Bernie said. “We really want to know, Chet and I.”

Ruben glanced at me, fear in his eyes, no doubt about it. I was licking burger juices off my lips. “Nothin’ happened,” he said. “I was feelin’ a little romantic. She wasn’t in the mood.”

“You don’t look like the romantic type.”

Ruben frowned in a thoughtful way, like maybe he was learning something about himself.
Read an excerpt from Dog On It, and learn more about the book at the Simon & Schuster website.

Visit the complete list of books in the Page 69 Test Series.

--Marshal Zeringue